Adelaide City inflicted a second heavy defeat for the week on Adelaide Blue Eagles at Marden.

Adelaide City extend their lead at the top of the PlayStation 4 National Premier League table after a 5-0 win against Adelaide Blue Eagles.

A hattrick for Anthony Costa was the highlight of the afternoon, Joel Allwright and Daniel Filosi also netted a goal each.

The opening few minutes were very even, but eventually the Blue Eagles defense faltered and gave Adelaide City several chances to get on the scoreboard early on.

Adelaide City kept the relentless pressure going for the first half hour, with constant balls down the left side to Mamadi Kamara, who found his way around the Blue Eagles defenders all afternoon.

A couple of free kicks outside the box for City couldn’t hit the mark, nor could header by Costa from a corner kick.

It took 28 minutes for the Blue Eagles to have their first shot on goal, but Adelaide City keeper Luke Ostbye had no difficulty in stopping the harmless attempt.

The home crowd let the referee know they weren’t pleased in the 32nd minute when a Blue Eagles counterattack was stopped by a player going to ground without a foul, but a minute later some quick passes from Matthew Charalambous and Alemayo Kebede led to another shot, but again the City goalkeeper had no trouble.

The Blue Eagles momentum was only momentary, a counter attack by Adelaide City in the 38th minute leading to the best chance of the game thanks to a beautiful ball in by Evan Kostopoulos to Joel Allwright, but his first touch was lacking and the Blue Eagles defense cleared the ball away harmlessly.

It was only a matter of time until the City dominance translated to a goal, and in the 41st minute a Blue Eagles defensive blunder let City break in to a quick counter attack down the left side, and Anthony Costa slotted an easy goal from the cross.

Only a couple of minutes later Mamadi Kamara broke through four Blue Eagles defenders to put a ball in to the box, but the pass was ruled offside.

At half time, Blue Eagles were lucky to only be down 1-0.

The second half started with a Blue Eagles side that looked completely different, attacking and forcing Adelaide City to make mistakes.

That didn’t last long though, with City returning to their first half dominance through multiple inspired plays by Adelaide City’s Kamara.

The 58th minute saw the second goal of the match, Kamara breaking free of his opponent on the left wing, much to the disappointment of the vocal crowd, and put it at the feet of Allwright who easily goaled.

Blue Eagles tried to keep up the momentum from the start of the second half, and although Kebede’s fancy footwork got around some of the City defenders, there was just no converting the opportunities.

Adelaide City seemed to crack the code, with Costa finding space between three Blue Eagles defenders to run on to a through ball and score his second in the 72nd minute.

A stunned Blue Eagles looked dejected, but the barrage was not over.

Their best opportunity to salvage something came in the 75th minute through a long switch to Stefan Simic who put it in front of Kebede but, once again, no goal resulted from the hard work.

Last weeks hattrick star Nicholas Bucco almost made it 4-0 in the 82nd minute, a powerful shot from just outside the box forcing a great save from John Solari.

Daniel Filosi didn’t make the same mistake a few minutes later, the ball finding its way to the back of the net after some quick passes left the Blue Eagles defense in shambles.

Even a last minute Blue Eagles attempt from a corner kick was saved on the line, leaving them nothing to salvage from the match.

Bad news got even worse, with another through ball in the third minute of extra time splitting the Blue Eagles defense and handing Costa a hat trick.

Written by Marc Onofrio
Article feature image: Chris Kelly