Futsal Coaches Workshop with Scott Gilligan
This past Friday and Saturday (5th-6th of October) saw Football Federation SA conduct a Futsal Coaches Workshop with FIFA Futsal Coach Instructor Scott Gilligan.
Gilligan has had an outstanding Futsal career, representing Australia as a player and coach at the highest level, while now serving as a FIFA Coach Instructor and was a Technical Analyst at the last FIFA Futsal World Cup.
The two-day workshop was broken up into a theoretical and practical side, with State coaches and external coaches all in attendance. The workshop couldn't have come at a better time, as coaches and players are now in preparation for this years Futsal Nationals.
The Friday saw Scott Gilligan and Coach Education Manager Cristiano Dos Santos run through the technical side of Futsal. This included areas such as:
The second day saw a practical part of the workshop take place, with part of the Futsal state team helping to demonstrate. The second day was all tactical and looked at areas such as:
- Defending situations - 2v1, 3v2, 4v3
- Defending formations - 2v2 and 1-2-1
- Defending strong side and weak side
- Man to man marking
- Transition from attack to defence
- Transition from defence to attack - 2v1, 3v2, 4v3
- Rotation based formation - 1-2-1 and 3-1
- Attacking through the pivot
- Attacking through the flanks, receiving and facing forward
- Attacking through the side to use the back post
- Set pieces
With lots to learn on the day, Gilligan said "there is still so much to learn and speaking to some of the coaches on the day, they realise it too. It really opened their eyes and how technical the game is."
"Saturday's session worked well because we had many players to work with and they all responded well. The coaches all seemed to keep an open mind and really took on board what was demonstrated."